Friday, March 20, 2009

Birth Control Case Mini Wallet




I've always thought it was a complete waste that every box of birth control pills came with its own case, so I've been thinking of a way to recycle them. The answer came to me when I realized that my bus pass fit neatly inside of one. I started using it as a wallet, but the case is flimsy, and I kept getting amused, "I know what that thing is," looks from my bus drivers. Plus purple isn't really my color. So, I decided a retrofit would be just the thing to make it cuter and somewhat less conspicuous. Here's how I did it:



What You Need:



1. Birth control case.
2. Some fabric.
3. Thin cardboard.
4. Embroidery floss.
5. Embroidery needle.
6. Scissors.
7. Modge Podge, or some other glue.
8. A pen, but you probably don't want to use a sharpie (I just like the color).
9. Clear nail polish; after starting this project I realized that you'd either have to hem the fabric or coat the edges in nail polish. I went for the lazy way.

What To Do:

1. Place your case onto the cardboard and trace it. Draw a line straight down the middle and cut it into two pieces.



Make them a little smaller than the case itself.



You might find it helpful to cut one piece down to size first, then use it to trace the other.



2. Glue them on to either side and allow to dry.

3. Trace your case on the back of the fabric and cut the tracing out. Optional: hem fabric, but I don't know how, so you're on your own.



4. Optional: Cut your thread to an appropriate length, say ten inches. Grab three threads in each hand and pull apart. if you want your thread to be bulkier, don't do this step.

5. Sew your fabric to your case just inside where the two pockets are glued on. I sewed down the spine then worked my way around. I would start by pulling the thread through the back of the fabric to begin so that the knot is between the case and the fabric.



6. If you didn't hem your fabric, cut off excess and coat edges with clear nail polish. This should prevent the fabric from fraying, at least for a while.

Et voila! A cute little card case, to use as you please. And, considering how many you come by, you can make a bunch to match different outfits, or you can give them out as party favors.





1 comment:

  1. This is sick baby it looks very professional and well crafted(no sarcasm) and i like your set up for your blog its not cluttered like a lot of other peoples.

    ReplyDelete